Sunday, September 5, 2010

12WBT -17

Having seen Michelle's Facebook posting about heart rate monitors I figured that investing in one couldn't be all that bad (I am pleased that I did a general search for the ones she was promoting as I found the same thing cheaper elsewhere).  Another factor in deciding to get one is that my blood pressure borders on being too high (borders is a bit of an exaggeration - it IS high - to the point of me getting sick of doctors being concerned about it!) and if I'm going to start doing physical activities, I should really try and pay as much attention to my body as I can - considering it will be doing things I've not made it do before so I don't know whether it'll throw any different warning signs.  Also, the monitor could beep and show numbers and I can be all 'ooohhhh' and 'aaaahhhh' (I'm a boy - I like gadgets ;) ).  Wifey got one too, so that was nice.  We're now working on matching exercise outfits - just kidding!


Michelle's latest task (#4) went up.  That also triggered the purchase.  It was interesting.  I came to the realisation that I'm still not over my mindset that gyms are for fit people not fat people.  I'm going to do my workouts either at home or outside.  Hey, when I lose the weight then I'll have the confidence to enter a gym again.


So.  Exercising six times a week.  Right.  Six.  A week.  This caused a minor shock to the system.  I don't know why, but for some really bizarre reason, I wasn't expecting this.  It's not that I don't want to do it.  It's more a case of you're mind is saying, 'Right.  Let's do it.  Three times a week and you'll be off to a good start.' and then it hears six times a week and it's all, 'six?  That's more than three.  Something's not quite adding up here.' - y'know what I'm saying?  It's good in the sense that it's now making me think about my week in a more holistic way - not just on a day-by-day basis (or on the usual 'get up - shower - go to work - come home - cook dinner - go to bed' routine).  I'm now thinking about scheduling a workout into my day.  Scarily (in a very good way), I'm thinking about the pre-season tasks (and we're still in pre-season mode - there's something to be said for Michelle's strategy here!).  

  • What were some of my excuses?  - I exercise best in the mornings, but want to snuggle with Wifey.
  • What were some of my goals? - I want to workout at least 2-3 times a week (in the first month).

Well, hello!  The alarm bells are ringing.  To rid myself of that excuse I'm going to have to schedule the workout.  Now to start looking at when (as, courtesy of pre-season task #4, I know where - thanks to the local council, I have quick & easy access to a couple of parks & reserves...not to mention a bush track).  My goals may have been a wee bit under-ambitious upon reflection - but at the time I didn't think so.  At least I can go back to them and revisit/revise them...in a positive way (not, 'that was too difficult, I was never going to be able to do that', more, 'wowsers!  I've achieved that goal already, lets make some more!').


Last night's dinner: Pork fillet in smokey tomato broth.

The Book of General Ignorance fact: Marmots can kill people.  They cough on other creatures (rats etc) which can then spread the bubonic plague.

No comments:

Post a Comment